Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Top 25 Songs of '08 (15-11)

15. Starfucker- Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second “All my life, there you go. Oh, please stay, just this once.”
Even if I listen to this song on my computer, I just dance in my chair because it’s so damn catchy. The nice lyrics are an added treat, but the jangling guitars are what really set it off for me. Whenever their next release might be, I sure hope it has more stuff like this on it.

14. Animal Collective- Water Curses “The color after sunset, you’ll do anything to jinx it.”
Thank the stars ’08 was not void of Animal Collective. The absolutely amazing Strawberry Jam last year left me needing more, and more I got on the Water Curses EP. This is a rather whimsical, fluttering song that could take some getting used to for those who are not familiar with Animal Collective. This is the kind of thing we look to them for, and once again, they didn’t fail to deliver.

13. The Black Keys- Strange Times “Strange times are here”
How much ass do the Black Keys kick? Off a fairly decent album, this babe shines through as the best song to answer that question. A whole lot.

12. M83- Graveyard Girl “I’m fifteen years old and I feel it’s already too late to live.”
I didn’t like Saturdays = Youth as much as other people did. It was alright, but for me, too much of this 80’s business gets a little stale after a while. Nevertheless, I love this song and prefer it to “Kim and Jessie” and “We Own the Sky” any day of the week. It’s got just the right amount of teenage angst mixed with that 80’s sound. As Neil Sedaka would say, this is just “ear delicious.”

11. Passion Pit- Sleepyhead “You were one inch from the edge of this bed. I drag you back a sleepyhead.”
Chunk of Change gets my vote for EP of the year. At first, I didn’t really like this song that much, and preferred the song “Cuddle Fuddle” instead. Yet, with more listens, this has become the clear winner. This is some of the easiest stuff to get in to that I’ve heard in a while, and I can’t wait until these guys drop a new release next year.

No comments: