Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Top 25 Songs of '08 (25-21)

25. Metronomy-Radio Ladio “See that girl? She’s takin my breath away.”
This song makes me do this weird thing with my head and shoulders to the beat. It’s a funky little song from an even funkier cd. Something about it is just begging for a remix. Not only can you move to it, you can even shout along towards the end. R-A….D-I…OOOOOOO.

24. Ratatat- Shiller
I don’t really know why I like this song so much, or why I like Ratatat as much as I do. This song just interests me for some reason. It’s like looking at something shrouded in fog, and then the fog is instantly lifted and whatever is there is seen perfectly clear. I just get chills when that happens near the middle.

23. Moby- Alice “My head keeps turnin, turnin, like Russian roulette”
Okay, I don’t like most of the stuff Moby puts out. He’s got some alright songs, including the fantastic “Extreme Ways.” Somehow, he made this song just too cool to keep off my list. That’s all I got.

22. Portishead-The Rip “In my thoughts I have bled, from the riddles I’ve been fed.”
I didn’t like the new Portishead cd because it gets pretty boring really quickly. This song is the exception for me. While it starts off rather slow, that simple transformation it goes through just melts me. And if Radiohead covers a song, it’s got to be somewhat good, right?

21. The Decemberists- Raincoat Song “And the raincoat that you wore when it rained today, I think it only made it rain more.”
Thanks to Donovan, I’m much more versed in The Decemberists than I used to be. And, just like him, I am now greatly looking forward to their new cd in ’09. This song is just so simple, but I love it dearly. Meloy is crooning at his best, and every time I hear it I remember how good it was live.

No comments: